The SEC Faculty Achievement Awards honor those with outstanding records in both teaching and scholarship who serve as role models for junior faculty and students. To qualify for the award, an individual’s scholarly contribution or discoveries must be such that colleagues within the discipline have acknowledged the faculty member nationally or internationally.
To be eligible for an SEC Faculty Achievement Award, a faculty member shall:
- Be a teacher/scholar at the SEC university
- Have achieved the rank of full professor at the SEC university
- Have a record of extraordinary teaching
- Have an outstanding record of scholarship that is recognized nationally and/or internationally
- Not be a past SEC Faculty Achievement Award winner
Based upon the requirements for the SEC Faculty Achievement Award, nomination materials include:
- Nomination Application (name of nominee, title, campus address, email, phone, nominator’s name and signature)
- A curriculum vitae limited to five pages
- A list of scholarly publications
- A statement (limited to three, single-spaced pages) from the faculty member regarding the impact of his or her teaching/scholarship
- A letter (limited to three pages) of recommendation from the dean or unit supervisor
- For publicity, a complete biographical sketch limited to 500 words
- A current professional head shot and a current “environmental” photo (e.g., with students, in a classroom, in a lab setting, etc.); photos should be color, JPEG format, 300 dpi resolution and no less than 1500 x 2000 pixels
- SEC Faculty Achievement Award Selection Procedures
- SEC Faculty Achievement Award Selection Timeline
Annual Deadline: February 10 (due the following business day when falls on a weekend or holiday)
Nominations and supporting materials must be submitted by the divisional dean. Submit nomination materials as Word documents via email to MUProvostAwards@missouri.edu. Name the file as follows: YearSECFacAchv_LastFirst (e.g., 2022SECFacAchv_TigerTruman).
The documents will be made available to MU’s selection committee and MU finalist for the SEC Faculty Achievement Award will be identified in February. The provost’s office will oversee submissions of the final nomination for the SEC Faculty Achievement Award.
MU SEC Faculty Achievement Award Recipients:
- Dr. Shuhua Zhou, Leonard H. Goldenson Professor of Radio and Television, Missouri School of Journalism – 2022
- Dr. Kenneth Sher, Curators’ Distinguished Professor of Psychological Sciences, College of Arts & Science – 2021
- Dr. Anthony Lupo, Atmospheric Sciences, College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources – 2020
- Dr. Shelly Rodgers, Strategic Communication, School of Journalism – 2019
- Dr. Inder K. Khurana, Geraldine Trulaske Chair in Accountancy, Professor, School of Accountancy, Trulaske College of Business – 2018
- Dr. James Birchler, Curators’ Professor in Biological Sciences, College of Arts & Science – 2017
- Dr. Glen Cameron, Maxine Wilson Gregory Chair in Journalism Research, Professor, Missouri School of Journalism – 2016
- Dr. Michael F. Smith, Curators’ Professor in Animal Science, College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources – 2015
- Dr. Judy Wall, Curators’ Professor in Biochemistry, Joint Curators’ Professor of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology – 2014
- Dr. Joshua Millspaugh, O’Connor Distinguished Professor of Wildlife Management, College of Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources – 2013
One Professor of the Year Award is given to the outstanding faculty member in the SEC, the monetary value of which is $20,000.
In addition, one SEC Faculty Achievement Award winner from each SEC university will receive a $5,000 honorarium.
SEC Professor of the Year:
- Dr. Karen Wooley, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, Texas A&M University, 2021
- Marlon Blackwell, Chair & Distinguished Professor of Architecture and Design, University of Arkansas, 2020
- Dr. Gabriela González, Professor of Physics & Astronomy, Louisiana State University 2019
- Dr. Marcetta Darensbourg, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, Texas A&M University 2018
MU SEC Professor of the Year Award Winner:
- Dr. James Birchler, Curators’ Professor in Biological Sciences, College of Arts & Science 2017
All SEC Faculty Achievement and SEC Professor of the Year Award Recipients