August 2021 New Faculty Orientation
Welcome to Mizzou! The Office of the Provost held a two-day, “New Faculty Orientation” on Zoom Wednesday, August 11 and Thursday, August 12, 2021.
You will be able to access additional videos, information, and links on our “New Faculty Orientation” Canvas page, which will house asynchronous materials for you to peruse at your leisure. These resources will remain on this site all year long, so that you can refer to them as needed. As soon as you have an MU “pawprint,” you will be loaded into the Canvas site as a user.
If you have any questions about this or anything else that pertains to your transition to MU, please feel free to be in touch with me at email@example.com.
All my best,
Associate Provost for Faculty Success
Faculty Orientation Video
Please watch this welcome video for new faculty from the Office of the Provost.
On our New Faculty Orientation Canvas site, you will find videos, resources, and information about a variety of important topics, organizations, and offices. Go to https://umsystem.instructure.com and login with your MU pawprint and password.
New Faculty Orientation Schedule
Tuesday, August 10, 6-7:30 pm
Reception for new faculty and campus leaders at the Chancellor’s Residence on Francis Quadrangle.
(Please note: the reception has been postponed to a later date.)
Wednesday, August 11
9:30-10am: Provost & MU Professional Development Council Greeting & Presentations
10-11am: Introduction to Research (Tom Spencer)
11am-12pm: Teaching for Learning Center Overview & Teaching Essentials (Tori Mondelli and Jonathon Cisco)
1-2pm: Inclusion, Diversity & Equity Overview (Maurice Gipson)
2-3pm: Breakout Rooms
- Orientation for Graduate Faculty (Jeni Hart)
- University Libraries: Supporting Your Teaching and Research (Jeanette Pierce)
- Introduction to NextGen Precision Health (Mary Hindle & Kim Kimminau)
- Academic Freedom (Steve Owens)
Thursday, August 12
10-11am: Research Panel (panel chair: Sheila Grant)
- Yaw Adu-Gyamfi – Assistant Professor; Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Debora Bell – Professor; Department of Psychological Sciences
- Christine Elsik – Professor; Divisions of Animal Sciences and Plant Science & Technology
- Shubhra Gangopadhyay – Professor; Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and former NSF Program Director
- Tim Glass – Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry
- Wendy Reinke – Professor and Associate Vice Chancellor for Research; Department of Educational, School & Counseling Psychology
- Robert Thomen – Assistant Professor; Department of Radiology
11am-12pm: Inclusive Teaching (Lydia Bentley)
1-2pm: Missouri Online | Office of eLearning Teaching and Learning Support (Heather Hunt)
2-3pm: Working with your Department Chair
- Jamie Arndt, Psychological Sciences
- Anthony Ross, Management
- Enid Schatz, Public Health
- Laine Young Walker, Psychiatry